Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Goals I Am Working Towards

A few months back, I decided that I really need to be further educating myself. Not because I need to earn a better living - on the contrary I love nannying and don't plan on ever getting an "outside" job. But because the mind becomes dull if you don't exercise it, and I don't want that to happen! But college is definitely not my thing. It's completely inconvenient and they don't really have anything I'm interested in. So I got to thinking - what do I really enjoy? What am I passionate about?

And I decided that outside my relationship with God and my family, I am most passionate about moms! I love seeing moms succeed and take joy in what they do, all through the different aspects of motherhood. And most of all, I am very passionate about natural mothering - from natural health, to drugfree childbirth, to breastfeeding. They are very real parts of who I am as well as things that I would enjoy learning more about so that I can help other moms.

So, I started looking into different avenues in this arena, and this is what I've decided on. I want to:
1. Become a Bradley Method ® Childbirth Instructor
(The Bradley Method ® is the most successful instruction for drugfree childbirth)
2. Become a certified Breastfeeding Counselor
(This is a huge step underneath a lactation consultant, but still useful)
3. Become a Birth and/or Postpartum Doula
(A doula is one who assists a woman in birth and/or postpartum adjustment)

This journey will probably take several years, and each of these goals is a very large undertaking, especially with a baby and one on the way! But I believe that I can do it, and it's something that I'm very excited about! I'm glad that I found something that I want to learn about and want to set apart time for.

As I undertake this journey, I hope to use this blog to track some of the things I'm learning so that maybe through it I might be educating and encouraging people already. May it be so!

No comments: